LiveZilla Live Chat Software
Test Automation Tools | Test Management Tools | Automated Software Testing

Problems with importing via Excel

Share any Issues you may have had and any solutions you found.

Problems with importing via Excel

Postby shutey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey all, after a little bit of help...

I've been trying to import test cases into T-plan Professional (release 7) and it's doing my head in. I'm using Excel in order to create test suite/ library using phase 1 scripts so we are able to manage, edit and import easy when we're underway with phase 2.

Now this is where the fun begins... I have a whole host of scripts in excel and it seems to upload some steps, miss others, take the "Test Description/ requirements" from one test case id and insert it into another.... I'm not wanting to import and then spend all my time checking the scripts to make sure they have been loaded correctly....HELP!

The example files i have provided
Example file.xls
(25 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
give the following outcome:

Project-Test-001 - uploads fine
Project-Test-002 - only uploads the Pre-reqs
Project-Test-003 - removes the Test description/ requirement

why is this?

I have tried with .xls and .xlsx file formats and still no joy.....

Any ideas would be great...

Just to add (not sure it makes any difference) but we are using Excel 2010.
Last edited by shutey on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shutey
User
User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Problems with importing via Excel

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Shutey,

I have tried this here with your sample spreadsheet and am able to import it into Design fine.
I think therefore it is probably down to the mappings you are setting during the import. For example here is what I did:
From Deisgn, right click a Specification folder and Import
Import from Excel
Select your sample spreadsheet
In the Document Browser mapping window I set the following
Col2 = script.scriptinstruction.name
Col3 = script.scriptinstruction.instruction
Col4 = script.scriptinstruction.expectedResult
Select Import

This gave me a result of three scripts all with the correct Steps as per the spreadsheet. (See image)

I am guessing that you are attempting to do something different with the first two rows of each script, before then using those same columns for the Step information?

To help you further I really need to know what mappings you were setting during the import.

As I indicated above it helps a lot if different information is seperated out into different columns. i.e. if you want a Script Description, or the Pre-reqs to go anywhere other than the Steps, these should be contained in a seperate column to the Step Instructions and Expected Results. If this is not the case it can still be acheived although will require more manual effort during each import.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

David.
Attachments
ExcelImport.png
Result of Import
Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:26 pm

Re: Problems with importing via Excel

Postby shutey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 am

Morning Dave,

Thanks for coming back to me and taking the time to look at this. I did try and upload my mapping file but the site is unable to allow extension tpmap.

With regards to the mappings below, that's the same as i have been using along with setting Col1 to script.name. With your attached file you show the import for project-test-001 and all looks to be exactly the same as i have been experiencing. However, are you saying that project-test-002 & 003 contain the correct and full information in T-plan as expected?

I did do some digging about the forum Friday night shortly after this post, and managed to find another thread with regards to import issues. Within that thread there was a sample import template (.xml file) which i used the same data and import file/ settings and that worked without any problems...

This is making me think it was a file format issue?

Be interested to see what your project-test-002 & 003 looks like......


Chris
shutey
User
User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Problems with importing via Excel

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, Scripts 002 and 003 are all present and correct, see image below.

As the "Text" column has a default mapping to Specification and Col1 maps to Script.name by default I don't touch these. I jump straight to Col2 onwards. I also don't touch any of the other settings or options.

I have attached the simple mapping file that I used, although as you say I have had to rename the extension to .txt to allow uploading. If you wish to try this please rename the file extension back to .tpmap.

The file format shouldn't be an issue. Obviously the structure of the worksheet imports ok as I have done so here and the Office extrension works with both .xls and .xlsx file formats which I think rules that out of being the cause of any issue.

Let me know how it goes.

David.
Attachments
ACT_ImportMapping.txt
Mapping File used for Import (to use please rename to .tpmap)
(720 Bytes) Downloaded 283 times
ExcelImport2.png
Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:26 pm


Return to Troubleshooting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
  OUR CLIENTS
NEWSLETTER
FREE Product Trials
Name:
Email: